This article provides a step-by-step process on how to update your ColorProof software to the latest version.
In case of any issues, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Already on the latest 'major' version, but need to apply a service patch? Please check out the below article instead:
Checking the Licence
Before upgrading, ensure you have the license file for the version you are updating to. In ColorProof, go to Help > Update Licence and check the version listed in the Licence Overview window.
All major version updates require a new license.
ColorProof 5.0 - 5.9 ➝ 5.10 New license required
Point release updates and patches do not require a new license.
ColorProof 5.9.0 → 5.9.1 No new license required
Web-based vs Full Installer
The ColorProof installer is now offered in two versions and available here: Latest ColorProof.
- Web based setup: This is a very compact setup file. All required resources will be downloaded automatically from the GMG Cloud during the installation. Download this by clicking on the large 'Download' button.
- Full Setup: GMG will still offer a ZIP archive for the installation of systems without an internet connection. Download this via the 'Full Setup' download link.
We recommend the web-based setup for all systems with an internet connection. Deactivate the ‘ColorProof App Data Package’ in the install shield. In this way, only the actively used database items will be loaded (see installation instructions above).
Creating an Environment Backup
Creating an environment backup of your system is recommended before performing any upgrades.
In ColorProof, create an environment backup (.env file) by navigating to System > Environment Backup > Create.
Choose the destination folder and click Save.
In case of any database inconsistencies, the backup will not complete. Resolve the errors as guided by the backup wizard and then attempt to create the backup again. Do not upgrade ColorProof without a successful environment backup.
Copy the .env file to an external location.
Close the ColorProof window by clicking the cross in the top right corner.
Then, shut down the services by right-clicking the ColorProof icon in the system tray and choosing 'Shutdown'.
Running the Main Installer
Navigate to the previously downloaded installer and double-click the Setup_xxx.exe file to begin the installation.
Choose your installation language and click Next.
On the next window, click Next again.
Accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
Choose which components to install. For most users, leave as default and click Next.
- ColorProof + ColorProof AppData Package - The main application and database files. Leave ticked on for all users.
- Profile/SpotColor Editor - The tools required to build profiles and custom spot color databases. Leave ticked on for all users.
- Gamut Viewer - The ability to view and compare different colour spaces. Leave ticked on for all users.
- WebClient - A web interface for viewing jobs in ColorProof. Less commonly used by most users.
Leave the destination folders as default and click Next again.
Now click Install.
Wait for the installation to finish, this can take several minutes. If prompted during the installation to install device drivers, click OK.
Click Finish. Do not launch ColorProof yet.
Running the Patch
If any patches are available for download, these will be listed on the download page and should be installed after the upgrade.
Launch the patch update and, when prompted, click 'Update'.
When complete, click Finish.
Double-click the ColorProof shortcut icon on the desktop to launch ColorProof.
If you updated to a new major version, the new license file needs to be applied. The splash screen window may get stuck in status 'Creating Printer Types...'.
- Click on the splash screen with a single mouse click.
- The license error window is revealed.
- Click OK on the pop-up and in the new window that appears, click Update.
- Navigate to the provided license file and click OK.
ColorProof will now launch.
In case ColorProof does not launch, then shut down the services by right-clicking the ColorProof icon in the system tray and choosing 'Shutdown'.
Then launch ColorProof again by double-clicking the ColorProof shortcut icon on the desktop.