ColorProof offers an automated paper feed adjustment for the following printers:
- Epson SureColor SC-P5000 / SC-P6000 / SC-P7000 / SC-P8000 / SC-P9000 STD and LLK
- Epson Stylus Pro 4900 / 7900 / 9900
- Epson Stylus Pro 7890 / 9890
Please note that the automated paper feed adjustment is only available for the integrated measurement device ILS30 and only for original GMG media.
Click the start button next to the name of the printer and a small test pattern will be printed and measured a few times by the integrated measuring device.
The resulting paper feed value is automatically saved in the media settings for this printer. This new feature helps to ensure a fail-safe calibration process and an optimal print quality.
In most cases, a paper feed adjustment is not required. A paper feed adjustment is required only if you experience problems passing the tolerances of a control strip despite a successful printer calibration or you experience banding on prints.
For printers without an ILS30 SpectroProofer, a test chart has to be printed as a manual job and then measured with a ruler.
An incorrect paper feed setting will cause subtle banding underneath all your proofs, and test charts.
– Not visible to your eye, but it is measurable.
– This makes it harder to calibrate and harder to iterate profiles.
HP and Canon printers have built-in Paper Advance Calibration functions on their front panel menus.
For Epson printers without an ILS30 SpectroProofer, we provide a test form to print which will allow you to select the correct value for GMG Media.
– Every printer has a different correct value.
– The paper feed adjustment fine-tunes the amount of media that is advanced between each head pass.
Instructions for Manual Paper Feed
We recommend using the Epson x900 Print Quality Check test chart (attached to this article) and using a 300mm steel ruler, measuring from above with an eye glass.
The PDF should be printed in portrait mode on your Epson printer.
The strip it prints on the left hand side will need to be measured as precisely as possible. It should read exactly 280mm but may even be 0.25 mm too long or too short. Measure with with a steel ruler and an eye glass.
The adjustment can be made under the Change Media tab according to the reference table in the PDF.
- Print the Epson x900 Print Quality Check test chart file as a manual job.
- Measure the strip on the left hand side, which should read 280mm.
This can be even 1/4 of a mm out and so must be measured from above, preferably with an eye glass and steel ruler. See the chart at the top of the Epson x900 Print Quality Check test chart which shows what adjustment value corresponds to the measurement.
- In ColorProof, go to the Change Media tab for the relevant media and enter the adjustment value in the Paper Feed Adjustment [%] This ranges from -3 to +3 and the default is 0.