How long does the profile calculation take?
The profile calculation time depends on the following parameters:
1. Processing power (CPU)
2. Number of channels
3. Color information (single ink or full characterization)
4. Number of fulcrums
5. Reverse print increases the calculation time.
Use of Surface Finishing increases the calculation time.
On one of our test systems, we observed the following calculation times, based on a Medium profile quality and 5–6 fulcrums per ink. High quality and 7–8 fulcrums will increase the calculation time significantly.
Number of inks | Front print | Reverse print or Surface Finishing
5 | < 1 min | 1–2 min
6 | 1–5 min | 3–15 min
7 | 3–40 min | 20 min to 3 h
There are a few things you can do to help speed up the calculation:
- Don't include too many colours in one job, especially for 'test swatches'. Keep the number of colours in the job realistic to what you would have on the press.
- The time it takes to calculate a profile is not linear. Increasing the number of colours in a job from 6 colours to 7 colours can more than double the processing time.
- Reduce the number of fulcrums in the profile calculation.
- Ensuring you are running the latest version of OpenColor, which contains many performance improvements.
- Increase the number of cores under Settings > Preferences > General Settings > CPU Usage. Don't increase this above half the number of cores you have.