Calibration and ProofControl Failures
The first checklist below covers the main remote troubleshooting steps for cases where calibration and ProofControl failures are persistent. Once all remote checks have been completed but the failures are still present, an on-site service may be required.
- Print and verify a nozzle check pattern after every clean. See our article on how to print a nozzle check pattern.
- Check the inks have not passed their expiry date. This is written on the front of every ink cartridge.
- Shake all ink cartridges gently for 10-15 seconds.
- Once the inks are shaken, run three powerful cleans on all colours, to push the freshly shaken ink through the pipes.
- Check the results details for each iteration to determine which inks may be at fault. Double click the header of the dE column to order by maximum dE. Which patches are failing with the highest readings?
- Check the correct media is loaded. It’s surprising how often the wrong media is loaded in the printer!
- Replace the roll with a full, new one – especially if you are near the end of the roll.
- Media Settings
- Ensure the tolerances have not been lowered below the default (5/1/2/0.8). It’s normally not necessary to lower your tolerances for every day proofing.
- Run a paper feed adjustment check – check out our paper feed article.
- Increase the drying time under the Change Media tab. Sometimes a little longer is needed, especially in older versions.
- Consistent 22 to 24C. The general rule is that if you’re comfortable, your printer is comfortable!
- Away from heat and cooling sources – it’s especially important to keep the printer away from the path of any fans or air conditioners.
- Measuring Device:
- Clean the white tile and backing plate inside the SpectroProofer.
- The measuring device must have a valid (in-date) calibration/service certificate – this doesn’t apply to the ILS20/ILS30.
- Reset the calibration, as per our knowledge base article.
- Calibrate using a different calibration set – is more than one calibration and media failing?
If the calibration failures are persistent, an engineer visit may be required. Please contact the support team for further assistance.
Engineering charges may apply. In some cases, parts may also be required.
- Inspect the measuring device
- Clean the printer wiper blade and wiper blade cleaning pad
- Clean all head capping stations
- Inspect and clean the print head surround
- Clean the gap adjustment
- Run the engineer nozzle pattern
- Perform AID checks
- Carriage return (CR) slant
- Paper feed (PF) slant
- Gap adjustment for undir, bidir and 5 colour bidir
- Clean the measuring device
- Internal one metre paper feed check
- ColorProof paper feed check
- Reset the calibration
- Run the calibration