Service release of GMG ColorServer 5.0.30034
• Release notes
• New Features
∙ New SmartProfiler measurement view
∙ Service Controller Tray Icon – Status of the server and the workers in the task bar
∙ Update Host of Shared Locations and Printer Configurations
∙ Add required Firewall Rules during installation
∙ Synchronize hotfolder settings for re-publishing in GMG SmartProfiler
• Resolved issues
• Build number
Service release of GMG ColorServer Suite 5.0.30034
GMG ColorServer Suite 5.0.30034 has been released today, Tuesday, December 19, 2017.
ColorServer 4.8 – 4.11 ➝ 5.0 New license required, chargeable
ColorServer 5.0 ➝ 5.0.3 No new license required
• Dongle license ➝ ColorServer 5 + other GMG applications (e.g. ColorProof) on the same system
• Software license ➝ ColorServer 5 only on the system, recommended for virtual machines
Please note that it is not supported to use both dongle and software license on one system (e.g. dongle for ColorProof + software license for ColorServer).
Supported operating systems
for the Server and for the Windows Client:
• Windows 10 (64bit)
• Windows 8 (64bit)
• Windows 7 (64bit)
• Windows Server 2016
• Windows Server 2012 R2 (64bit)
• Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)
for the MacOS Client:
• MacOS High Sierra 10.13
• MacOS Sierra 10.12
• MacOS El Capitan 10.11
• MacOS Yosemite 10.10
• MacOS Mavericks 10.9
GMG ColorServer 5.0.30034
• ColorServer 5.0
• InkOptimizer Web 5.0
• InkOptimizer SheetFed 5.0
• ProfileEditor (ColorServer)
Content of ColorServer 5.0:
• Load balancing with unlimited workers and up to 8 jobs in parallel
• Unlimited remote and local hotfolders
• Conversion and (Re)Separation Profiles for standard printing conditions
• Integrated Paper Adaptation Tool
• GMG Option ColorServer 5.0 Workflow Integration: Enables direct integration into 3rd party Workflow systems and provides access to the core functionality via a public API or an XML-based Jobticket Hotfolder.
Optional chargeable modules for ColorServer 5.0:
• GMG Option ColorServer 5.0 Worker Package: Provides the ability to processes additional 8 Jobs in parallel.
• GMG InkOptimizer SheetFed 5.0 Option: Improved CMY-K balance for ink saving and stable printing for sheet fed offset standards.
• GMG InkOptimizer Web 5.0 Option: Improved CMY-K balance for ink saving and stable printing for web offset standards.
• GMG ProfileEditor and SpotColor Editor: Advanced editing of MX-Profiles and spot color databases
• GMG SmartProfiler
• GMG SmartProfiler EcoSave: The GMG EcoSave option provides optimization of printing data for LFP Production by fully automatic ink reduction while maintaining an identical color impression.
Installation and update instructions
1. Extract the zip file GMG_ColorServer_5.0.30034_WIN.zip
2. Double-click Setup_5.0.30034.exe to start the setup
3. Select the modules to be installed on that system
4. (Repeat on other systems for distributed processing)
First start after installation
After installing ColorServer 5.0.3, the first start takes some minutes. As long as the server data are updated, the http-server is not running, the client is disconnected and shows the ‘red’ status. A pop-up message reminds to wait until the configuration is finished. The duration of the first start depends on the size of the server data and the computer performance. Once all data is updated, the Client connection will turn to the ‘green’ status. This is valid for new installations as well as for updates.
New SmartProfiler measurement view
Efficient measurement handling in the new measurement view
The menu navigation to print and measure in SmartProfiler has been adjusted in ColorServer 5.0.3 to meet the needs of the users. The enlarged display of the test charts improves the handling of the measurement process – especially for hand-held devices, such as X-Rite eXact.
• The charts are measured in the background. The Client UI can be used during a measurement and all functions of the software are available.
• Single test charts measurements can be removed.
• Single test charts pages can be re-measured.
• Test charts can be measured multiple times. All measurements will be averaged for profile calculation and when measured data are exported.
• Test charts can be exported as PDF.
• The details of single patches can be looked up.
Service Controller Tray Icon – Status of the server and the workers in the task bar
The tray icon of the service controller in the task bar allows a quick check whether the services are running. The color (green, orange, red) informs about the status of the ColorServer Service Monitor, the Server, the PDF and image workers.
Status of the service controller tray icon:
• Green: Server, PDF and Image Workers are running
∙ Server, PDF Workers, Image Workers are running, but http-server is not started yet (first start after Installation) OR
∙ Server is running (http-server is started and reachable) and either PDF Workers or Image Workers or both are stopped (move the mouse over the tray icon for details)
• Red: Server, PDF Workers and Image Workers are stopped
Service functions (right mouse click):
• Start/Stop the services
• Quick access to the ColorServer Configurator
• Log files
Update Host of Shared Locations and Printer Configurations
The option ‘Update Host’ allows to easily change the host name of Shared Locations and Printer configurations. After clicking ‘Update Host’, the Shared Location or Printer Configuration will be bound to the host (computer name) of the actual PC. This is needed when the computer name has changed. This option can also be used to move the shared locations to another PC.
Tips & Tricks:
1. Please run the hotfolder service configurator on the system with the correct computer name, so that the correct host is set.
2. When the shared location contains a UNC path (\\192.168.11.30\) or a network drive (X:/), please make sure that a connection to the remote computer is available at the moment when the host is updated. Otherwise the update will fail.
Add required Firewall Rules during installation
Simplified administration of the Client-Server-Architecture
During the installation, you can choose to have the required rule for ports 8111 and 5555 added to the Windows Firewall (other Firewalls are not supported). In this way, the firewall does not need to be configured manually anymore. The firewall rule is required for the communication between the different components when some of the ColorServer clients (Client, Workers, Hotfolder Service) are running on another computer. For security reasons, the checkbox is deactivated per default in the installation wizard.
Synchronize hotfolder settings for re-publishing in GMG SmartProfiler
Fast and easy re-publishing of GMG SmartProfiler templates
When hotfolder settings have changed compared to the original settings in the SmartProfiler template, these changes can be transferred to the SmartProfiler template using the ‘Synchronize’ functionality. A recalculation of the profile (‘Calculate & Publish’) will consider the changed hotfolder settings.
When the PDF hotfolder settings are different from the settings in the SmartProfiler form, a re-calculation of the profile will overwrite the settings in the PDF hotfolder with the original settings of the SmartProfiler form, as far as no synchronization has been performed before.
The following technical issues have been resolved in GMG ColorServer 5.0.30034. Please note that the list describes the problem, not the solution.
Hotfolder name change
When a referenced template (normalization, conversion, PDF processing, etc.) was opened directly out of the hotfolder tab and the name of this resource was edited, the name of the hotfolder was overwritten by the name of this edited resource. [76468, 78578, 75725, 78968, 79303, 74725]
Client (Mac) - Paths of hotfolders wrong in UI
The paths to folders in the hotfolder configuration tab were displayed incorrect in the ColorServer Client on a Mac. Editing the hotfolder settings caused a duplication of the path in the path fields. [71916, 74348, 75150, 71916]
Shared Locations - Host cannot be updated
After changing the computer name or the domain membership, the host could not be updated in a shared location or printer configuration. As a consequence, Hotfolders weren’t bound anymore to the Hotfolder Service and did not process any files after a host/domain membership change. 
Hotfolder Service – 0 kB files saved in the hotfolder were processed
Hotfolder Service created jobs from files that were saved in the hotfolder with 0 kB first and opened then to write the file content in a second step. This happened when files were saved directly into a hotfolder out of various applications or copied from a Mac to a Windows shared folder over SMB protocol. 
ICC replacement rules – Selection of items from filtered drop-down menu didn’t work correctly
Selecting an ICC profile from the filter results in the ICC replacement rules drop-down menus did not work correctly. The ICC profile was highlighted, but not applied. [71970, 71756]
ICC replacement rules – RGB to RGB rules
It was not possible to setup an RGB to RGB ICC Replacement Rule. RGB to RGB rules were not migrated from ColorServer 4.11. 
Lock status of resources hasn’t been saved
All locked resources were unlocked when the server was stopped and started again. [75900, 77262]
The file name of exported resources was wrong, when these resources had been renamed in the Client before. 
Fields in Client changed by mouse scrolling
Scrolling through the view in a ColorServer Client parameter tab changed the values of combo boxes, lists and text fields with spinners. [79355, 79470]
Memory usage of the Client
Client.exe allocated a lot of memory during the administration of hotfolders and resources and did not deallocate it until the Client was closed. 
Dongle protected profiles
The compararison of the license ID in the profile and of the dongle always failed, even when the IDs matched. 
SmartProfiler – Wrong icon for finished profile
When a profile was calculated and published, this was marked with the icon of a question mark, which was confusing. 
SmartProfiler – Wrong eciCMYK ICC
SmartProfiler contained a wrong ‘eciCMYK.icc’ in the Client resources. 
PDF processing – 'Couldn't create image from stream'
ColorServer could not process PDF’s with huge JPEG images and aborted with the error message: 'Couldn't create image from stream'. [76123, 76208]
PDF processing – 'Couldn't create image from stream' for PDF created by iText PDF Library
ColorServer could not process PDF created by iText PDF Library that saved a raw Photoshop JPEG file as image in the PDF and aborted with the error message: 'Couldn't create image from stream'. 
PDF processing – ‘PageParser: There were too many arguments’
ColorServer failed processing PDF’s, created by iText PDF Library that used uncommon image reference names. After converting a multipage PDF, the corresponding output file could not be opened in Acrobat. One of the pages was blank and showed the following warning: ‘PageParser: There were too many arguments’. 
PDF processing – Corrupt output file
ColorServer processed a corrupt PDF file and generated a (corrupt) output file, instead of aborting the process with an error. 
PDF processing – Shading element error
Coordinates out of 16bit range in shading type 4, 6 and 7 were incorrect in the output. The shading was either incorrect or disappeared from page. [77165, 77641]
PDF processing – Option ‘Use CMYK Values from File’
PDF conversion failed when the option ‘Use CMYK Values from File’ was used. Error: ‘Spotcolor was not found in db3’. 
PDF processing – Option ‘3D sharpness for images – RGB’
The output was wrong when the option ‘3D Sharpness for Images – RGB Output Color Space’ in the PDF processing template was activated and the PDF page contained 1bit or 4bit CMYK images. 
GMG ColorServer 5.0.30034