Release of GMG ColorServer 5.0
• Release notes
• Product overview
• License overview
• Installation and upgrade instructions
• New Features
• Supported Workflow Systems
• Beta Test GMG SmartProfiler
• Resolved issues
• Discontinued Features
• End of Life of GMG ColorServer Suite 4.11, FlowConnect and WebConnect
• Build number
• End of Service Life of GMG ColorServer Suite 4.8
The new ColorServer 5.0 builds on the power of previous versions but is easier to use, easier to administrate, more reliable and highly productive. This new level of functionality is due to a new client-server core architecture, with integrated load balancing, which is modular and scalable to deliver increased stability and flexibility.
Release of GMG ColorServer 5.0
GMG ColorServer 5.0 has been released today, Wednesday, June 7, 2017.
ColorServer 4.8 – 4.11 ➝ 5.0 New license required, chargeable
• Dongle license ➝ ColorServer 5 + other GMG applications (e.g. ColorProof) on the same system
• Software license ➝ ColorServer 5 only on the system, recommended for virtual machines
Please note that it is not supported to use both dongle and software license on one system (e.g. dongle for ColorProof + software license for ColorServer).
Supported operating systems
for the Server and for the Windows Client:
• Windows 10 (64bit)
• Windows 8 (64bit)
• Windows 7 (64bit)
• Windows Server 2016
• Windows Server 2012 R2 (64bit)
• Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)
for the MacOS Client:
• MacOS X Sierra 10.12
• MacOS X El Capitan 10.11
• MacOS X Yosemite 10.10
• MacOS X Mavericks 10.9
GMG ColorServer 5.0
• ColorServer 5.0
• InkOptimizer Web 5.0
• InkOptimizer SheetFed 5.0
• ProfileEditor (ColorServer)
Content of ColorServer 5.0:
• Load balancing with unlimited workers and up to 8 jobs in parallel
• Unlimited remote and local hotfolders
• 5 Windows and MacOS Management Clients
• Conversion, InkOptimizer and (Re)Separation Profiles for standard printing conditions
• Integrated Paper Adaptation Tool
Optional chargeable modules for ColorServer 5.0:
• GMG Option ColorServer 5.0 Worker Package: Provides the ability to processes additional 8 Jobs in parallel.
• GMG Option ColorServer 5.0 Workflow Integration: Enables direct integration into 3rd party Workflow systems and provides access to the core functionality via a public API or an XML-based Jobticket Hotfolder.
• GMG InkOptimizer SheetFed 5.0 Option: Improved CMY-K balance for ink saving and stable printing for sheet fed offset standards.
• GMG InkOptimizer Web 5.0 Option: Improved CMY-K balance for ink saving and stable printing for web offset standards.
• GMG ProfileEditor and SpotColor Editor: Advanced editing of MX-Profiles and spot color databases
• GMG Option ColorServer 5.0 Remote Client: 5 Users
• GMG SmartProfiler EcoSave: The GMG EcoSave option provides optimization of printing data for LFP Production by fully automatic ink reduction while maintaining an identical color impression.
The new GMG ColorServer 5 features a Client-Server architecture consists of different modules:
• GMG Server is a server application which provides the file and template repository to the ColorServer applications. The server submits jobs to the workers and sends them back to the client or hotfolder.
• GMG ColorServer Remote Client is a client application to manage resources (Profiles, Spot Color Databases, processing Templates), set up hotfolders, manage and view color processing Jobs (New, Resume, Delete).
• GMG Hotfolder Service is a service which provides and monitors folders across the network. The service will create jobs and submit them to the server.
• GMG Service Monitor monitors the applications to ensure a failsafe file processing. In case of a crash, the monitor will restart the GMG server, the workers and the hotfolder service.
• GMG Worker connects autonomously to the server, receives the orders (e.g. for PDF-to-PDF processing) and sends back status information about the processing to the server.
• Paper Adaption Tool: For customers using a wider variety of substrates than typically defined in the narrow media white point definitions of printing standards, the Paper Adaptation tool guarantees a closer visual match to the desired printing condition or print standard (e.g. 39L). They can rely on optimal and automated conversion to any printing standards or individual printing conditions thus eliminating manual retouching effort and try & error loops.
Installation and Upgrade instructions
1. Extract the zip file GMG_ColorServer_5_0_WIN.zip
2. Double-click CS5_0.exe to start the setup
3. Select the modules to be installed on that system
4. (Repeat on other systems for distributed processing)
The following resources are migrated automatically:
∙ Hotfolder configuration
∙ Conversion, InkOptimizer, Separation and Reseparation Profiles
∙ SpotColor Database
∙ Normalization Rules
∙ SpotColor Rules
The following pre-requisites are required for the migration tool:
∙ License for GMG ColorServer 5.0
∙ HTTP-Connection to GMG ColorServer 5.0
1. Close ColorServer 4.10/4.11
2. Extract the zip file ConfigMigrationApp_5_0.zip
3. Double-click the ConfigMigrationApp.exe
4. Establish a connection to ColorServer 5, as far as it is not on the same PC
5. Select the hotfolders you want to transfer to ColorServer 5
Update and migration:
The following products can be updated and the corresponding configuration migrated to ColorServer 5:
∙ ColorServer 4.11/4.10
∙ ColorServer 4.9/4.8 ➝ Update 4.11 ➝ Update ColorServer 5.0
∙ InkOptimizer / IO Sheet Fed Edition 4.11/4.10
∙ InkOptimizer / IO Sheet Fed Edition 4.9/4.8 ➝ Update 4.11 ➝ Update ColorServer 5.0
Update without migration
ColorServer 4 with a connection to the below workflow systems can be updated, however the configuration of the workflow system is not migrated and needs to be defined for ColorServer 5.
∙ Enfocus Switch
SmartProfiler cannot be migrated yet. You will be informed by the SupportNews as soon as this is possible. We do not recommend to update:
∙ ColorServer 4 with SmartProfiler
∙ ColorServer 4 Digital / LFP
We do not recommend to update systems with a connection to the following workflow systems. We will announce the support at a later point in time.
∙ Dalim Twist
∙ Kodak Prinergy
∙ Agfa Apogee
The Mac and Windows ColorServer Job Manager provides a filterable, sortable and searchable overview of all processed or processing Jobs. Dedicated files can be easily found and individually managed i.e. processed files which led to an error or all files that are ready to print. That means, operators do not have to waste valuable time to find processed jobs which needs to be fixed.
ColorServer´s modular hotfolder setup approach allows to effectively and uniformly setup or administrate a large number of hotfolders by the use of templates. ➝ Setup once; use many!
For example, changing to a new printing standard like Fogra 51/52 does not have to be adapted individually for each hotfolder, it only needs to be changed in the so-called "Normalization Template".
Users do not have to waste valuable time for repeated setup tasks and can change and maintain the color server configuration in virtually "no" time.
Client Server Architecture
A new local client has been developed for ColorServer 5, allowing users to administrate the server, submit jobs and monitor their job status from their desktop. An access to the server application is no longer needed to see job status. GMG ColorServer is now split into several applications which can be installed locally on one computer or distributed on multiple computers.
Load Balancng is directly integrated and allows to increase the production performance, processing multiple files in parallel by distributing the workload to multiple connected computers without extra effort to configure and maintain GMG FlowConnect and GMG WebConnect.
Multi User Capability
Multiple users can connect to ColorServer at the same time to observe the status of job processing or to administrate workflows. There will be no interrupts or waiting time if multiple user accessing ColorServer.
Hotfolders can be locally installed on the workstation, there is no need to mount network drives. Hotfolders can be used like a Dropbox application. “Just install and configure the wanted output condition and GMG ColorServer will do the rest.” Network drive permission problems belong to the past. The GMG Hotfolder Service connects directly to the server application. Errors and connection problems will be detected by the hotfolder service and guarantees a complete file transfer between local workspace and GMG ColorServer.
Smart Hotfolders provide the ability to create "naming convention based hotfolders". For example, files which have "F39" in the name, will be normalized to IsoCoatedV2. This allows further workflow automation, easy integration of GMG ColorServer in 3rd party workflow or automation applications and leads to fully automated failsafe conversion, eliminating human handling errors.
Application Programming Interface (API)
ColorServer is designed to enable direct access to the core functionality via a public API. This allows the direct integration of GMG Color Management into own applications or 3rd party workflow applications (i.e. web2print).
The direct and seamless integration of GMG color management in workflow applications like Enfocus Switch, allows to control and track GMG color management directly from the major workflow application. GMG FlowConnect and GMG WebConnect is not needed anymore for the workflow integration.
Job Ticket Hotfolder
The directly integrated XML based hotfolder functionality allows to integrate GMG ColorServer into 3rd party applications without expert programming knowledge. The integration of GMG Color Management into almost any workflow is easily possible, even if other workflow applications do not support ColorServer out-of-the box. GMG flowConnect and WebConnect are not needed anymore.
Supported Workflow Systems
The direct and seamless integration of GMG color management in workflow applications allows to control and track GMG color management directly from the major workflow application. ColorServer 5.0 supports the following workflow system:
• Enfocus Switch
Beta Test GMG SmartProfiler
The Beta Test for the new GMG SmartProfiler for ColorServer 5 has started. You are welcome to apply for participation. Please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following technical issues have been resolved in GMG ColorServer 5.0. Please note that the list describes the problem, not the solution.
Font corruption and text shifts
Several cases of font corruption and text shifting are resolved with the new version. [23547, 24364, 61322, 63865, 65800, 65801, 70030, 69021, 63689, 35967, 61462, 59960, 61790, 61744, 63428, 64097, 63659, 63793, 60013, 66096, 69578, 31108, 28861, 67368, 66478, 58780]
Network drive as shared location
Hotfolder location on a network drive did not work. [67666, 68122, 68143, 68307]
Migration – Duplicates of resources
When the migration was done multiple times, duplicates of the resources were created. Validation was missing. 
Client window error
Depending on the monitor resolution, the client window could sometimes not be scaled down anymore and the scroll bar was missing. 
User rights for hotfolder service
Hotfolder Service worked with "full folder access", instead of with "read only" rights. 
Job Info window empty
The ColorServer Client did not show the overview of the already processed and being processed jobs. 
French and Spanish Windows 7
Client did not show resources on French Windows 7 , nor in Spanish Windows 7 
Job files not deleted
Job files not deleted despite answering ‘YES’ to the question „Delete output files, too?” 
PDFs damaged after processing with image resampling. 
Refresh monitor tab
Refreshing the monitor tab did not work correctly. 
No temp file clean up
Temp files of ColorServer 5 were not cleaned up. 
Files not processed after connection interruption
Files not picked up for processing after worker lost connection to the server. 
Migration Tool SpotDB3 error
Migration tool generated errors for all workflows related to the SpotDB. 
Spot color objects disappear
In a specific PDF, the spot color objects were invisible after PDF-to-PDF-processing. 
PDF not loaded
A specific PDF could not be processed. The error message was: “PDF could not be loaded. Possible wrong document format or invalid document structure“. 
XMP data removed
The GMG color server Image workflow removed the XMP metadata (TIFF tag 700) in specific output image. 
”Cancel processing if no Profile” – notification missing
The setting “Cancel processing if no Profile” in the normalization template, cancelled the processing of the file. There was however no information provided to the user. 
Hotfolder invalid after import
There were several issues with imported hotfolders: the linked conversion template was invalid, the normalization template, conversion template and warnings were listed twice. [69562, 69559]
Wrong hotfolder name during export/import
A duplicated and renamed hotfolder showed the initial (old) name of the hotfolder instead of the renamed (new) one in the export and import window. [69554, 69555]
ColorServer 5 not working on old Macs
The ColorServer Mac OSX Client was not working on Intel processors prior to “Sandy Bridge”. 
Template with conversion + InkOptimization
An error was shown when the conversion template contained two conversions: 1-Conversion, 2-InkOptimizer. [69528, 69587]
Conversion template available only after hotfolder save
A new color processing template, created by the + button in a new hotfolder, was created. It however was only available in the drop-down list after saving and reopening the new hotfolder. 
Spot color gradations
A PDF file was corrupt after converting using a spot color gradation. 
Job log for images
There was no log information („Show Job Settings“) for processed images. 
Resampling of small images (<10px) led to object shifting or visible artefacts. [69512, 69661]
The setting „Delete Input files for Successful Jobs“ removed the files, however not the possible related folders and subfolders it was located in. 
Normalization of images canged to none if vector was set to none
Changing the normalization profile of vector data to "none" also switched the normalization profile for image data to "none". 
Some elements of the user interface were not localized. 
Installation of Profile Editor and SpotColor Editor failed with error
Installing Profile Editor and SpotColor Editor as part of the ColorServer 5 setup caused the setup to fail with an "error in packet ProfileSpotColorEditor...". 
No information about the folder in the hotfolder location main window
The Main Window of the Hotfolder Location does not show any information on the hotfolder path. 
Remove Spotcolor rule did not work
Spot color rule sets used for processing a PDF remained in use even if removed from the template. 
Multiple tabs showing the same hotfolder
Instead of switching to the opened instance, creating a new hotfolder location and saving but not closing the tab, created a new tab when opening the location again. 
Wrong entry in report: ”Cancel processing if no ICC Profile”
PDFs processed with the Normalization setting of "use attached ICC if available, else use the following profile" neverthleless generated a report entry of "Cancel processing if no ICC profile attached". 
SmartProfiler is currently in a beta test phase. See above: Beta test GMG SmartProfiler.
The options ‘Force White (no paper tint)’ and ‘Force Black’ that were available in ColorServer 4 image hotfolders on the ICC tab are discontinued.
Discontinued file formats:
• Scitex Brisque, CT, CT/LW
• ArtCom AIF
• Camera RAW images
• RIPServer Sep
• Scitex Brisque, CT, CT/LW
• Image Pattern (c.tiff, m.tiff ...)
End of Life of GMG ColorServer Suite 4.11, FlowConnect and WebConnect
Please note that we will no longer provide bug fixes, maintenance releases, workarounds, or patches for bugs found in
• GMG ColorServer Suite 4.11 or older
GMG ColorServer 5.0.10032
End of Service Life of GMG ColorServer Suite 4.8
We hereby announce the End of Service Life (EOSL) for GMG ColorServer 4.8. The EOSL means that, effective immediately, support calls via the service hotline, email or the trouble ticket system will no longer be accepted and all support has been discontinued for the above product and version.